It’s safe to say that when you’re sick you go to a doctor, and when your teeth hurt you go to the dentist. So should it be any different when you run into legal problems? Unlike going to the doctor, or dentist, lawyers don’t have insurance companies giving them preferred provider listings on their website, so finding a good lawyer can be a daunting task at best. So after you look through all the reviews, and talk to everyone you know that’s used a lawyer before, you narrow your search to 2 or 3 Attorneys. So what do you do next?
First, set up appointments to speak to all attorneys that you are interested in. Never hire the first one you go to, you should always have options. Next, prepare a list of questions to ask each attorney form the list of questions below to aid you in your quest to find the right attorney.
- What area of law do you specialize in?
- How long have you been practicing in this field?
- How much experience do you have handling cases like mine?
- How many cases like mine have you handled in the past year?
- Could I review letters of recommendation for your services?
- How long do you think my case will take to resolve?
- What are the possible outcomes in my case?
- What are my options outside of going to court?
- What approach do you take when handling a case? Unrelenting bull dog or reach settlements?
- What are your rates? Pro Bono, Contingency Fee, Hourly, or by criminal charge?
- Is there a retainer fee?
- What is your estimate of the total charges for your services?
- Do you allow payment schedules?
- Who will actually be working on my case from your office?
- What do you need from me?
While hiring the right attorney can make or break your case, utilizing the list of questions in this article to find the proper lawyer can take the guessing game out of choosing one. The answers you receive from the attorney’s you have spoken too will help determine which ones right for your case.